Last week was uninteresting, so I’ll not document it.
Of the weekend, the only interesting aspect was going to the “By the Gods” event in central London on Saturday afternoon/evening. Typically, the meeting time was right in the middle of the worst of the weather with gales and driving rain causing damage to my umbrella and a good soaking to my trouser legs.
Sunday was spent recovering from a late night on friday night finishing reading “Zodiac” in bed and the late night the night before. The weather was so drab and horrid that I didn’t feel like doing anything at all so vegitated.
The only really “interesting” intellectual challenge I have at the moment is trying to reverse engineer the data format of the tapes written using the old Data General RDOS operating system’s DUMP command as a user here has a couple of tapes from the late 70’s and early 80’s with data on which she needs. I managed to find the last working 1/2″ reel-to-reel tape drive in the University to extract the data and saved the tape images to file.
So far I’ve got to the point where I can extract the first couple of files from the image but then the header format seems to change for some unknown reason.. so it’s back the the drawing board.